Information for Prospective Members
- The professional corporation cannot be a numbered company (e.g. 1234567 Ontario Inc.).
- The name of the professional corporation must include the words “Professional Corporation”.
- The legal name of the corporation must indicate the health profession to be practised through the corporation, as well as the surname of one or more of the shareholders.
- A member may use another business name aside from the legal name (e.g. a professional corporation could use the name “Danforth TheraClinic” for marketing purposes, while its legal name is “J. Doe Psychotherapy Professional Corporation”). All names must be on file with the College, and Ontario law requires the legal name to be on all contracts, invoices, negotiable instruments, and orders involving goods or services.
- Only members of the College can hold shares.
- The officers and directors of the professional corporation must be shareholders.
- The professional corporation can only offer psychotherapy services, or provide related or ancillary services.