Given the volume of applications being received, we are not able to respond to questions about when an individual application will be processed – it is, however, likely to take several months. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Applicants can check the sidebar of this page to ascertain which month of applications we are processing. We are not able to expedite the processing of an application for any reason.
The average times for approval of applications that clearly meet all registration requirements are as follows:
- Recognized program applicants – 3 to 4 months
- Non-recognized program applicants (using the Mapping Tool) – 5 to 6 months
- Labour mobility applicants – 2 months (this includes the wait times for your previous regulator to provide a letter of good standing)
Staff cannot process applications until they are complete. This means that, until you have responded to any requests for further information from staff, your application is not considered to be a final submission and we will not be able to move your application through the stages of review. This ensures that you have the best chance of approval and so we encourage you to provide any needed information as soon as possible.
Applications that do not clearly meet the registration requirements are referred to a panel of the Registration Committee. Applications that must be referred to panel take considerably longer since there is a requirement that applicants be given time to respond to the referral, the panel must meet and review the application and then decisions and reasons for the decision must be issued. Applicants who are being referred to panel are notified of this within eight months of applying. The average time to receive the panel’s written decision following the notice of referral is four months. If you have already received notification that your application is likely to be referred to a panel of the Registration Committee for their review, please refer to the timelines for response provided in that message.
Once an application is submitted, applicants can easily track the “Application status” on the “Welcome” page in their CRPO account. Please be mindful of the timelines above as you continue to track your “Application status” in your CRPO account. You can also check which month is under review in the sidebar of this page. We would ask that you refrain from repeat enquiries as responding to email and phone requests takes time away from processing applications.
What does each status mean?
- Information/Documentation Requested
- First Review
- Second Review
- Manager Review
- Approval Expired
- Referred to Panel
Your application has NOT been submitted. Please complete all pages of the application and pay the required fees. Once payment for the application fee and mapping tool fee (if applicable) have been made, your status will change to “Submitted”.
Your application has been submitted successfully and is in the queue for processing; staff review has not yet begun.
Information and/or documentation is required in order for the processing of your application to proceed. Please monitor your email inbox regularly and respond as quickly as possible to prevent delays.
To facilitate the processing of applications:
- If staff has questions or information/documentation is required, staff will send a detailed email.
- If more information/documentation is required after receiving the response to the initial email, staff will follow-up for a second and final time.
- If we do not receive a substantive response and/or required documentation within two months of the date of the initial request, or the two attempts fail to result in satisfactory information, the application may then be referred to a panel of the Registration Committee for further consideration and possible refusal.
Review of your application is now underway. A detailed assessment is conducted to determine, whether the application is complete, providing applicants with an opportunity to add further information if required.
First-level review of your application is complete; a second, senior-level review is in process to ensure that your application clearly meets all entry-to-practice requirements.
First-level review and/or second-level review has identified a requirement that may not be met or disclosure that requires further review, such as Professional Conduct disclosures.
You have met the minimum requirements for registration; your application has been approved. You will be notified by email. Payment of the registration fee within 30 days is required prior to a certificate of registration being issued.
Payment of the registration fee was NOT made within 30 days of application approval. Therefore, the approval has expired. You must submit a new application for registration, including paying applicable fees.
Applications that do not clearly meet the registration requirements, for one reason or another, are referred to a panel of the Registration Committee. This review panel includes professional members of Council (that is, practicing Registered Psychotherapists) as well as publicly appointed members. Professional members bring their clinical perspective and experience to the process and work with the other panel members to ensure that registration decisions are fair and appropriate.
The applicant receives a formal notice which identifies what provision(s) of the Registration Regulation staff has doubts that the applicant met. The applicant has 30 days to make written submissions to the panel. Once the submission deadline has passed, the panel meets to consider the application, including any submissions.
The panel may make an order doing any one or more of the following:
- Directing that the applicant be issued a Certificate of Registration;
- Directing that a Certificate of Registration be issued if the applicant successfully completes examinations set or approved by the panel;
- Directing that a Certificate of Registration be issued if the applicant successfully completes additional training specified by the panel;
- Directing that specified terms, conditions or limitations be applied to the applicant’s Certificate of Registration and specifying that a limitation on the applicant’s right to apply under subsection 19 (1) of the Health Professions Procedural Code(application for variation) be imposed; or
- Directing that the applicant’s application be refused.
Once the panel has completed its review, the College will provide the applicant with a copy of the panel’s written decision and reasons for its decision.* An applicant has 30 days from receiving the decision to request a written review or oral hearing from the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board.
*If the panel directs the Registrar to issue a Certificate of Registration pursuant to s. 18(2) paragraph 1 of the Code, the panel need not provide any reasons.
The submitted application is incomplete in that there is significant information and/or documentation that is indicated as required in the application instructions and was not provided. You must submit a new application for registration, including paying applicable fees.
A panel of the Registration Committee has directed that the application be refused.
Following a decision made by a panel of the Registration Committee, an appeal has been initiated with the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board.
An application has been voluntarily withdrawn or closed due to being incomplete after multiple follow-up requests. No fees are refunded.