Registered Psychotherapists will not be permitted to practice independently, i.e. without clinical supervision, until they have completed 1,000 direct client contact (DCC) hours and 150 hours of clinical supervision over the course of their professional careers. For supervision, at least half of the required hours must be completed in an individual/dyadic format. Please visit the Supervision page for more information about supervisor qualifications and supervision requirements.
This limitation applies to all registrants and will remain in effect until the registrant satisfies the College that they have completed the required hours. A RP’s eligibility for independent practice can be confirmed by looking at their status on the Public Register. Registrants who do not meet the independent practice requirements must ensure that they continue to practise with ongoing clinical supervision as this is a Term, Condition and Limitation (TCL) on their Certificate of Registration. Registrants must adhere to all TCLs associated with their Certificate of Registration. A breach of TCLs could result in disciplinary action by the College.
The number of accepted clinical experience hours on file can be found in the “Practice information” page of your user account. At the bottom of the page, you will find an “Hours summary” table outlining the number of submitted hours, countable hours, and accepted hours.
If you have completed clinical experience hours, you can submit them for review in the “Practice information” page of your user account. You will be required to update both your DCC hours and the corresponding clinical supervision hours and provide supporting documentation for the hours you are reporting. Once you have created the entries for your hours, you must click the “Request review” button at the bottom of the page.
Note: you can only click the “Request review” button one time per request. Once you have clicked the button, you will be required to wait until staff have completed their review of the submitted hours before you can submit additional hours for review.
To avoid processing delays, we ask that you only request a review of hours if one or more of the following apply:
- You have started at a new practice site and want to confirm whether the DCC hours and clinical supervision hours meet CRPO’s requirements.
- Your role at a practice site has ended and you are reporting the final DCC hours and clinical supervision hours accrued at that site.
- You have accrued the minimum DCC hours and clinical supervision hours required to be eligible for independent practice.
Once you have requested a review of the hours, your request will be sent to CRPO staff. Staff may contact you by email for clarification or follow-up.
You can easily track the status of your review request by looking at the “Direct client contact hours” and “Clinical supervision hours” summary tables in the “Practice information” page of your user account. The right-hand column of these tables indicates the status of your hours. This is what each status means:
- Pending – hours have not yet been reviewed by staff. If you have clicked the “Request review” button, staff will review all hours with this status. You will be contacted by email if staff have any follow-up questions.
- Accepted – these hours have been accepted and count towards the clinical experience hours required for independent practice.
- Not Accepted – these hours have not been accepted. CRPO staff will send you an explanation as to why these hours were not accepted.
- Withdrawn – you can choose to withdraw hours at any time. The hours will not be accepted and will not count towards the clinical experience hours required for independent practice.
If your hours are accepted, you will be notified by email. Your accepted hours in the “Hours summary” table will also update to reflect the total number of hours accepted. If upon acceptance of your hours you are eligible for independent practice, your status on the Public Register profile will update automatically.