To be eligible to transfer registration categories from Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) to Registered Psychotherapist, a registrant must:
- Successfully pass the Registration Examination;
- Successfully complete 450 direct client contact (DCC) hours approved by staff; and
- Successfully complete 100 clinical supervision hours, at least half of which are in an individual/dyadic format, approved by staff.
The number of accepted clinical experience hours on file can be found in the “Practice information” page of your user account. At the bottom of the page, you will find an “Hours summary” table outlining the number of submitted hours, countable hours, and accepted hours.
If you have completed clinical experience hours, you can submit them for review in the “Practice information” page of your user account. You will be required to update both your DCC hours and the corresponding clinical supervision hours and provide supporting documentation for the hours you are reporting. Once you have created the entries for your hours, you must click the “Request review” button at the bottom of the page.
Important: Please retain copies of all documents submitted to CRPO for your records. You will not be able to view documents after you submit them in the Registrant Portal.
Note: you can only click the “Request review” button one time per request. Once you have clicked the button, you will be required to wait until staff have completed their review of the submitted hours before you can submit additional hours for review.
To avoid processing delays, we ask that you only request a review of hours if one or more of the following apply:
- You have started at a new practice site and want to confirm whether the DCC hours and clinical supervision hours meet CRPO’s requirements.
- Your role at a practice site has ended and you are reporting the final DCC hours and clinical supervision hours accrued at that site.
- You have accrued the minimum DCC hours and clinical supervision hours required to transfer from RP (Qualifying) to RP.
Once you have requested a review of the hours, your request will be sent to CRPO staff. Staff may contact you by email for clarification or follow-up.
You can easily track the status of your review request by looking at the “Direct client contact hours” and “Clinical supervision hours” summary tables in the “Practice information” page of your user account. The right-hand column of these tables indicates the status of your hours. This is what each status means:
- Pending – hours have not yet been reviewed by staff. If you have clicked the “Request review” button, staff will review all hours with this status. You will be contacted by email if staff have any follow-up questions.
- Accepted – these hours have been accepted and count towards the clinical experience hours required to transfer categories.
- Not Accepted – these hours have not been accepted. CRPO staff will send you an explanation as to why these hours were not accepted.
- Panel Review – in the case that your hours are not accepted, you have the option to request that the hours be reviewed by a panel of the Registration Committee. Further information about this process will be provided to you by CRPO staff.
- Withdrawn – you can choose to withdraw hours at any time. The hours will not be accepted and will not count towards the clinical experience hours required to transfer categories.
If your hours are accepted, you will be notified by email. Your accepted hours in the “Hours summary” table will also update to reflect the total number of hours accepted.
Once you have successfully passed the Registration Examination and completed all clinical requirements, you will be eligible to transfer registration categories from Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) to Registered Psychotherapist. Registrants who are deemed eligible to transfer registration categories will have 30 days from the date they become eligible to transfer to complete the registration category transfer process. This process involves payment of transfer and pro-rated registration fees. Requests to transfer can be submitted in the “Category transfer request” page of your user account.
If an eligible registrant does not successfully complete the category transfer process within the 30-day time-frame, the following steps will be taken:
- Registrants will receive a letter confirming they have not fulfilled their requirement to transfer registration categories and will be invoiced a late fee.
- Registrants will be given an additional 30 days from the date the letter is sent to complete the transfer process, including payment of the late penalty.
- After the 30-day extension period, registrants who have still not completed the registration category transfer process will have their registration administratively suspended for non-payment of fees. Suspension means that you have forfeited your good standing with the College, are no longer a registrant of CRPO, and are not permitted to use any restricted title, practise or supervise the provision of psychotherapy for the purposes of registration with the College, perform the controlled act of psychotherapy, nor hold yourself out as qualified to practise as a psychotherapist in Ontario. The suspension will also be published on the Public Register.
- An additional fee of $350 +HST will be invoiced to lift the suspension.