To be eligible for registration in the RP (Temporary) category, the following registration requirements must be met:

  1. The applicant must be registered or licensed to practise psychotherapy in another jurisdiction in which the requirements for registration or licensure are similar to CRPO.
  2. The applicant must have an offer of employment or appointment that relates to the practice or teaching of psychotherapy and that does not exceed nine months.
  3. A holder of a Registered Psychotherapist certificate of registration must have agreed to be responsible for ensuring that the applicant’s clients receive continuing care in the period following either the expiry of the applicant’s certificate of registration or the applicant’s departure from Ontario, unless the Registrar is of the opinion that, in the circumstances, there is no concern regarding the need for continuing care.
  4. The applicant must not have held a Temporary certificate of registration in the 12-month period immediately before the date on which they made the application unless the Registrar is of the opinion, based on exceptional circumstances, that this requirement should not apply.

An RP (Temporary) certificate of registration expires on the earlier of the expiry date noted on their certificate of registration and the day that is nine months after the date on which the certificate was issued.

If you have an offer of employment for more than nine months, or the end date is not specified, you are not eligible for the Temporary category. Please apply through the regular registration route.

Currently, four provinces regulate practitioners who are eligible to apply for registration with CRPO in the Temporary category: Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Québec. To be eligible, practitioners must be registered with at least one of the following regulatory bodies:

  • College of Counselling Therapy of Prince Edward Island (CCTPEI);
  • College of Counselling Therapists of New Brunswick (CCTNB);
  • Nova Scotia College of Counselling Therapists (NSCCT); or
  • Ordre des Psychologues du Québec (holder of a Psychotherapy Permit only)

Practitioners in a jurisdiction outside of Canada will be eligible to apply for registration with CRPO in the RP (Temporary) category if they meet the above registration requirements.

To confirm eligibility for the RP (Temporary) category, please contact