Transferring to the Inactive Category
Inactive registrants are practitioners who, for one reason or another, are not currently engaged in the practice of the profession or need to take an extended leave from active practice but wish to maintain registration with CRPO.
There are many reasons a registrant may wish to take an extended break from practice. A break might facilitate management of a personal crisis such as illness, bereavement or caretaking of a family member with a serious illness or injury, military deployment, extended travel, relocation out of province or overseas, sabbatical, parental leave, etc. The Inactive category is not recommended for leaves of less than 12 months in duration.
A registrant should carefully weigh their options before applying to transfer into this category since Inactive registrants are prohibited from:
- providing or supervising direct client care;
- providing supervision; and
- making any claim or representation to having any competence in psychotherapy.
Inactive registrants are required to renew their registration annually.
Inactive registrants should also be aware that the process to return to active practice may take several weeks to process, and so Inactive registrants should be mindful of their anticipated return to active practice date (see further below for a full description of the process). Inactive registrants also need to be mindful of their currency hours. If an Inactive registrant is short of 750 currency hours in the three years prior to requesting to return to active practice, their request may be referred to the Registration Committee.
An Inactive registrant who has practised the profession within the previous two years must carry professional liability insurance run off coverage (sometimes called enduring or tail coverage) consistent with CRPO’s By-laws for a minimum of two years after the registrant last practised. Likewise, former registrants who have retired from practice are well-advised to maintain run off coverage for a reasonable period of time.
Registrants in the Inactive category must use the appropriate title: Registered Psychotherapist (Inactive) or the acceptable abbreviated form, RP (Inactive).
The annual registration fee for a registrant who transfers into the Inactive category during the renewal period is $295 +HST. The Renewal page indicates the deadline to submit a transfer request form to be invoiced the Inactive registration fee for a given year.
Your transfer date must also take place on or before April 1st, as this is the date that the new registration year begins. If you will be practicing for part of the registration year, you will be required to pay the RP registration fee at renewal.
CRPO does not provide any credit, refund or reimbursement to a registrant who moves from RP status to Inactive at any point through the registration year, which runs from April 1 – March 31.
In order to be eligible to apply for a Certificate of Registration in the Inactive category, a registrant must:
- Be a current, active registrant holding a Registered Psychotherapist (RP) Certificate of Registration.
- Provide an undertaking to CRPO, in a form satisfactory to the Registrar, agreeing to comply with the terms, conditions and limitations in section 19 of the Registration Regulation.
- Have paid all fees owing to CRPO under the By-laws.
- Have provided CRPO with any information that it has required.
- Be in compliance with:
- any outstanding requirements or orders issued by a panel of the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee;
- any requirement to participate in specified continuing education or remediation programs that were issued by the Quality Assurance Committee; and
- any terms, conditions or limitations that were placed on the registrant’s Certificate of Registration as a result of a direction of the Quality Assurance Committee.
Note: Qualifying registrants and RP (Temporary) registrants cannot transfer to the RP (Inactive) category.
How to Apply
To request a transfer to the Inactive category, you must submit a request in the “Category transfer request” page of your user account. You will be required to submit information relating to your request, such as the reason for your request to transfer to the Inactive category and the start date of your leave from the practice of the profession. Once you have submitted your request, it will be reviewed by staff. You may be contacted by email if additional information or clarification is required. If your request is approved, you will be notified by email.
For more information about the Inactive category, please review the Inactive Category FAQ, Registration Regulation and CRPO’s By-laws. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.