Transferring to the Inactive Category

Inactive members are practitioners who, for one reason or another, are not currently engaged in the practice of the profession, or need to take an extended leave from active practice, but wish to maintain membership with CRPO.

There are many reasons a member may wish to take an extended break from practice. A break might facilitate management of a personal crisis such as illness, bereavement or caretaking of a family member with a serious illness or injury, military deployment, extended travel, relocation out of province or overseas, sabbatical, etc.

A member should carefully weigh their options before applying to transfer into this category since Inactive members are prohibited from:

  • providing or supervising direct client care;
  • providing supervision; and
  • making any claim or representation to having any competence in psychotherapy.

An Inactive member who has practised the profession within the previous two years must carry PLI run off coverage (sometimes called enduring or tail coverage) consistent with CRPO’s By-laws for a minimum of two years after the member last practised. Likewise, former members who have retired from practice are well-advised to maintain run off coverage for a reasonable period of time.

Members in the Inactive category must use the appropriate title: Registered Psychotherapist (Inactive) or the acceptable abbreviated form, RP (Inactive).

*Qualifying members and RP (Temporary) members cannot transfer to the RP (Inactive) category.  


The annual membership fee for a member who transfers into the Inactive category during the renewal period is $295 +HST . The Renewal page indicates the deadline to submit a transfer request form to be invoiced the Inactive registration fee for a given year.

CRPO does not provide any credit, refund or reimbursement to a member who moves from RP status to Inactive at any point through the membership year, which runs from April 1 – March 31.


In order to be eligible to apply for a Certificate of Registration in the Inactive category, members must:

  1. Be a current, active member holding a Registered Psychotherapist (RP) Certificate of Registration.
  2. Provide an undertaking to CRPO, in a form satisfactory to the Registrar, agreeing to comply with the terms, conditions and limitations in section 19 of the Registration Regulation.
  3. Have paid all fees owing to CRPO under the By-laws.
  4. Have provided CRPO with any information that it has required.
  5. Be in compliance with:
    1. any outstanding requirements or orders issued by a panel of the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee,
    2. any requirement to participate in specified continuing education or remediation programs that were issued by the Quality Assurance Committee, and
    3. any terms, conditions or limitations that were placed on the member’s Certificate of Registration as a result of a direction of the Quality Assurance Committee.

For more information about the Inactive category, please review the Registration Regulation and CRPO’s By-laws. If you have any questions, please contact us at

Returning to Active Practice – RP (Inactive) to RP

Any member registered in the Inactive category wishing to resume practice of the profession must apply, in writing, to the Registrar for permission to do so by completing the Return to Active Practice form. Members wishing to return to full RP status may be required to satisfy a panel of the Registration Committee that they possess the knowledge, skill and judgment required of a current, active member. In some cases of lengthy leave, a member may be required to complete upgrading activities.

Members who wish to return to active practice are asked to consider their anticipated date of return and must apply at least eight weeks before the date they would like to resume to ensure the required steps can be completed in a timely manner. Depending on a member’s individual circumstances, the processing time may take longer.

Note: Inactive members cannot resume practice until they have received written authorization from the Registrar. Resumption of practice without this authorization may be considered an act of professional misconduct.


When the request to return to active practice is approved, the member must pay the registration category transfer fee ($80+HST).


The following rules apply when a member who holds an Inactive Certificate of Registration wishes to return to active practice and be re-issued a Certificate of Registration in the Registered Psychotherapist (RP) category.

  1. An application must be made to the Registrar.
  2. The member must pay any outstanding fees owing to CRPO under the By-laws.
  3. The member must provide CRPO with any information it has required of the member.
  4. The member must:
    1. satisfy a panel of the Registration Committee that they possess the current knowledge, skill and judgment relating to the practise of psychotherapy that would be expected of a member holding a Certificate of Registration in the Registered Psychotherapist category, or
    2. have successfully completed such additional upgrading activities as are determined to be necessary by a panel of the Registration Committee.

Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis; however, Inactive members will be deemed to have satisfied requirement 4 above, provided:

  • the member’s practice will be substantially as it was prior to entering the Inactive category (e.g. similar clientele, practice focus and/or employer, roles and responsibilities);
  • the member has completed at least 750 currency hours in the three year period immediately prior to submitting an application to return to active RP status; and
  • there are no other factors which would require further review.

Applications for transfer from the Inactive category to the Registered Psychotherapist category may be referred to a panel of the Registration Committee where:

  • the member has not completed 750 currency hours in the three year period immediately prior to submitting an application to return to active RP status;
  • the member expects to significantly change the nature of his or her practice (e.g. clientele, practice focus and/or employer, roles and responsibilities); or
  • factors exist that warrant further review.

If you meet the eligibility requirements above and would like to return to active practice, please complete the Return to Active Practice form, scan and upload a copy to the “Documents” tab in your CRPO user account. Once this is complete, notify CRPO using the messaging function in your user account (see “Messages” tab) that your documentation has been uploaded and is ready for review.

Certificate of Registration

Once your application is approved and all fees are paid, you will receive a confirmation letter for your return to active practice and an updated Certificate of Registration. Your registration category on the Public Register will be changed from Registered Psychotherapist (Inactive) to Registered Psychotherapist and will reflect your current practice sites.

If your application cannot be approved based on the information provided, staff will contact you and you may be asked to provide additional information, which may then require further consideration by a panel of the Registration Committee. Members whose applications are referred to a panel of the Registration Committee may experience longer than average processing times.

For more information about returning to active practice, review the Returning to Active Practice policy in full.


If you would like to resign your membership with CRPO, you may do so at any time by completing the Membership Resignation form and returning it to us at info@crpo.caNo matter when you resign your membership, no refunds will be given for any fees already paid.

Any CRPO member who wishes to resign their membership should understand what it means to resign. Resignation means your membership with CRPO ceases. Annual renewal and participation in other College programs, such as the Quality Assurance Program, would no longer be required.

A non-member may not:

  • Use the title “psychotherapist”, “Registered Psychotherapist” or any abbreviation or variation thereof in any language.
  • Hold oneself out as qualified to practise as a psychotherapist in Ontario (no matter what title one uses).
  • Perform the controlled act of psychotherapy once it is in effect (January 1, 2020).

A former member wanting to return to practice at any future date must submit a new application for registration and pay all associated fees. The former member would also need to demonstrate that they meet all registration requirements at the time of re-application. No refunds of membership or other fees will be made. If any fees are owed by you to CRPO, you will need to be in good standing with the College before re-applying.

Resignation and Quality Assurance

Former members, who resigned at any point during a Quality Assurance review process, including the Professional Development tool review and Peer and Practice Review, should expect to resume these processes in the event of re-registration with the College.

Resignation and Outstanding Investigations

  • If a member resigns during, or as a result of a complaint/investigation into their conduct, a notation to this effect will be made on the Public Register.
  • If the former member then re-applies for registration with the College, the outcome of re-application may be affected by the decision to resign.
  • If re-registered as a member, the complaint/investigation process may resume.
  • If a complaint or report is received after a member has resigned, the College can still investigate and prosecute conduct that occurred while the person was a member.

Professional Liability Insurance

Former members are advised to maintain run off liability insurance coverage for a reasonable time period after the last date of practise (please consult with your insurance provider for more information).

If you would like to resign your membership with CRPO, please complete the Membership Resignation form and return it to us at